“Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.”
– Thich Nhat Hanh
Do yoga whenever it suits you
Learn from world class teachers wherever you are
Unlimited access to all videos
Try one month for only €1
Traditionally, pranayama is an important part of a yogic practice. It is the formal practice of controlling the breath, which is a primary source of ‘prana’ or vital, life energy.
When practiced regularly, some of the benefits of pranayama include increased lung capacity; less stress; quieting of the nervous system; decreased heart-rate; less tension in the body; clarity of mind; and increased vitality and well-being.
There are various pranayama techniques that include training various aspects of our breathing. The breath is one of the main ways we detoxify and energize the physical body. Not only that but our breath is often linked to our mood, and vice versa. When you change the breath, you can change your mood.
At The House of Yoga, we provide guided and clear instruction videos to help you explore or deepen this practice. Pranayama typically consists of cultivating breath awareness, and performing specific exercises.
What to expect
• Pranayama is experienced differently by different individuals, so be curious and see what you feel during and after the various practices.
• There are specific pranayama techniques. Each of them has a different desired effect. Some are used to settle and calm the body and nervous system. Others are used to awaken and energize you.
Suggestions from The House of Yoga
• Be patient with your practice.
• Try different techniques and be aware of how you feel during and after the practice.
• Begin with shorter practice times if you are new to the practice.
• Enjoy. Be patient. Be curious. Breathe. And have fun.